This is apparently the educational outcome of the West Bend School District.
1. Make a statement regarding WBSD’s stance on current events regarding police brutality, systemic racism, and social justice.
2. Enhance and increase funding for counseling, youth programming, rehabilitative programs to replace outdated disciplinary action. Counselors or workers in these positions need to be required to complete anti-racism training.
3. Remove police liaisons from schools.
4. Establish new department or committee within Pupil Services devoted to Diversity, Inclusion, and Equitable Education.
5. Require anti-racism training and professional development for faculty: administrators, educators, aides, etc.
a. This should come from professional educators of color, with emphasis on Black educators.
6. Have a DAI representative at School Board Meetings as an accountability measure and to ensure decisions made are genuinely for the benefit and working towards “Excellence for All.”
7. Restructure social studies curriculums and mandate lessons on privilege, oppression, and systemic racism. Decolonize education by establishing ethnic studies requirements and incorporating Black
History into curriculums.
8. Establish a committee and funding for hiring and retaining Black educators.
a. Black counselors are also necessary in schools.
9. Inviting external Black educators to advise WBSD faculty in a professional development or mandatory training capacity.
10. Set community guidelines on what qualifies as hate speech and educate students on why it is considered hate speech.