Boots & Sabers

The blogging will continue until morale improves...


Everything but tech support.

1016, 03 May 18

Teacher Uses Position to Wage Social Justice War

This is part of the reason why there has been a decline in respect for the teaching profession.

The woman named this year’s National Teacher of the Year used buttons pinned to her dress on Wednesday to stage a silent protest.

The Guardian reported that Mandy Manning wore six political badges on her black dress and declined to clap for Trump as he entered the White House Ceremony.

According to a pooled report, one pin included a photo of the Women’s March poster, the international protest that was first held the day after Trump’s inauguration.  Another badge read “Trans Equality Now.” One other pin was the shape of an apple with a rainbow.


“My goal is to share my student stories,” Manning told CNN. “But to send a message, to not only by immigrants and refugee students but the LGBT community, that they are wanted, they are loved, they are enough and they matter.”

Nowhere in that story do you see anything about… you know… education. I don’t even see what grade or subjects Manning teaches. I don’t see anything about how the kids she teaches benefit from her teaching. How they do better getting into the colleges and careers they want. Nothing at all about outcomes. This teacher just uses her classroom, and now her award, to wage the various social justice battles that are important to her.


1016, 03 May 2018


  1. jjf

    Teachers, all of them, are to blame because one teacher engaged in a little silent protest and didn’t respect the auth-or-itay of the President?

    And in the article you link, the President himself says:

    “Her incredible devotion has earned her the adoration — total adoration, actually — and respect of students and colleagues throughout her school district, community and the entire state,” Trump said during the award ceremony.  “Teachers like Mandy play a vital role in the well-being of our children, the strength of our communities and the success of our nation,” he added.

    You can’t figure out what she does?  The article also says:

    Manning teaches immigrants and refugees as part of the “Newcomer Center” at Joel E. Ferris High School in Washington state.

    So let me google the answers for you.


  2. Mark Hoefert

    Teachers, all of them, are to blame because one teacher engaged in a little silent protest and didn’t respect the auth-or-itay of the President?

    From the JJFaust link: As the 2018 National Teacher of the Year, Manning is looking forward to serving as a full-time spokesperson and advocate for teachers and public education.

    Looks like she is presenting as more than just “one teacher”, but a voice for all public education teachers.

    So alienating those who need be turned into supporters of public education is a “winning” strategy?  In our community it is estimated that about 27% of residents have a connection to the public school (as staff, parents, grandparents of public school students.).  Things like this make it easy for some of the other 73% of constituents to not care so much.



  3. Le Roi du Nord

    We have a POTUS that couldn’t tell the truth about anything, is being sued by a porn star, under investigation for collusion with the Russians, and yet this is newsworthy?  Wow.

  4. billphoto

    So the keyboard warrior that pretends to be from Wisconsin cannot comment about this social justice warrior that showed some class while still making her support for the Peace Corp, National Education Association, Teacher of the Year among some other lefty things.  Instead he/she pivots and goes off the rails.  Of course, as the article source is AP  (the AP is owned by its contributing newspapers and radio and television stations in the United States, almost all well left of center), it only seems logical our keyboard warrior would follow AP’s pivot off topic from education to the wall and immigration.

    Personally, I have to think Mandy Manning must be one hell of a teacher to win this award.  That said, with the USA ranking 35th worldwide in math, 27th in reading and 28th in science, I must question the liberal mindset Ms. Manning exemplifies in achieving success in educating our children.  IT’S NOT WORKING!!!

  5. Le Roi du Nord

    No pretending, billybob, I have lived here all of my life.

  6. billphoto

    Leaving behind the keyboard warrior’s belief that Schaumberg is in Wisconsin, the recent MPS budget battle does bring up some interesting points.   Wisconsin ranks 18th out of 50 states in terms of per-pupil spending.  ~$12K vs. $15K.  A cursory look at the MPS budget and it appears MPS is spending over $14.5K per pupil.  Given the MPS’ graduation rate of under 60% vs. over 88% for the State, this is a perfect example of throwing more money at school will not improve outcomes.

Pin It on Pinterest