Another pop star killed himself with drugs. I know… we’re all shocked.
An accidental overdose of the powerful painkiller fentanyl killed music megastar Prince, a medical examiner’s report released Thursday reveals.
“The decedent self-administered fentanyl,” A. Quinn Strobl, MD, chief medical examiner for the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office, noted in the findings.
Fentanyl, according to the National Institutes of Health, is a powerful synthetic opiate analgesic similar to but more potent than morphine. The prescription drug, often administered via injection, transdermal patch or in lozenge form, is typically used to treat patients with severe pain.