It’s on now… thoughts? I’ll have some later.
OK, a few comments…
– Trump is a jerk. I thought that tonight was a chance for him to pivot to being a serious candidate, but he was his usual boorish self.
– Fox News did a disservice to the viewers by giving Trump so much time to ramble at the expense of other candidates. Fox News wanted the zingers and the headlines.
– Some of the questions asked were actually pretty good. They were specific and picked at each candidate’s weaknesses.
– Ben Carson doesn’t have the best delivery, but I love what he has to say.
– The shouting match between Paul and Christie about NSA records collections was interesting, but realize it was between two candidates who have the same chance of winning the nomination. And that chance is statistically indistinguishable from zero.
– Trump’s answer on abortion was incomprehensible.
– So far, Walker’s answers have been solid, but he’s almost invisible. Perhaps it’s his plan to sit back and let some of the other candidates flame out?
– Walker’s “mush” vs. “steel” answer was excellent. That will be his headline tomorrow.
– Carson is hilarious, as well as brilliant. He seemed very relaxed and comfortable in his own skin.
– Rubio’s biography is so compelling.
– I have to admit that I like Bush a little more after this debate.
– I’ve heard Walker’s closing statement a million times, but it is good if you’re hearing it for the first time.
Overall, it was a fun debate. I suspect that the ratings will be very high for a first debate. I also suspect that events like this debate are going to drive a lot more interest in the Republican side during this cycle.
Finally, it’s such a blessing that the Republican slate of candidates is so strong. I can make a good argument for almost every candidate. It’s a slate of very strong, accomplished candidates.