Republicans Debate Another Coronavirus Spending Boondoggle

Speaking of divided powers and the legislative process

WASHINGTON — Beset by internal divisions and clashes with the Trump administration, Senate Republicans downplayed the prospects Tuesday of enacting new coronavirus relief before key programs like boosted unemployment payments expire.

Republicans continue to negotiate among themselves but broadly oppose an extension beyond this week of the $600 weekly federal jobless benefit that millions of Americans are collecting. Complicating Republican talks is the White House, which is trying to cut funding for COVID-19 testing and demanding a payroll tax cut that many in the president’s party oppose.

Talks with Democrats, who will be needed to pass the bill, haven’t even begun.

At a meeting of Republican lawmakers Tuesday, Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas cast doubt on the spending talks, asking, “What the hell are we doing?” according to a Republican source familiar with his remarks.

Good. Don’t throw more borrowed money on the fire. Open the economy and let Americans work.

14 Responses to Republicans Debate Another Coronavirus Spending Boondoggle

I have to be honest, the stimulus check I got helped me a lot.
    D I need another one? No.
    Do others? Maybe.
    But I object to those who say hero nurses and doctors should get extra pay.
    No, those doctors and nurses get paid around $60 an hour or more plus over time. A small check means nothing to them

Mar, sheesh, I know, I make way more than those doctors you know, and I’m rolling in the cash and didn’t even notice the Trump pork deposit.

And yet you cannot even understand a simple data base.
    Still waiting for to say something intelligent.

If you’re so smart, how come you ain’t rich?

Define rich.

Are you some kind of anti-capitalist?  If you provided more value to others, you too could be making $60 an hour or even twice that.  Or if you’re only making minimum, you could work some double shifts or pick up an extra side job and then save your money and stop buying all that booze and bling-bling.

Or, jjf, I chose to make a difference in someone’s life, which is my definition of rich.

Something tells me that if you thought I wasn’t rich you’d ridicule me for it.

Umm, no.

Sure, injecting disinfectants will certainly make a “difference” in someone’s life. Not for the better, though.

But if I’m not giving you enough attention, Mar, you’ll call me a racist joke-teller all day long.  Why?  Just trying to make a difference in my life?

Just speaking the truth, jjf.
    You tell racist jokes. You readily admit that.
    You believe little Black and Brown students should not attend private school through vouchers with little white kids.
    You think that if you are a person of color, you automatically have a worse life than a white person.
    You support Antifa, which is a very racist group of thugs.
    Now, I didn’t say you are a joke teller. You are just a joke.

You tell racist jokes. You readily admit that.

Mar, show me where I said that.  Really.

Oh, didn’t say that that way, either, and don’t fret!  There are plenty of little white kids who were already going to those private religious schools who took most of the vouchers.

But keep trying to make a difference in my life, and in yours.

jjf, you said everyone tells racist jokes. Everyone includes yourself. So, you admit you tell racist jokes, so, please tell us some of your racist jokes.
    Racist.