Madison City Council Denies Funding for Non-Lethal Tools for Police

I guess the council prefers that the police either allow rioters to loot or use lethal force to stop them. What an idiotic act of virtue signaling that will make it more difficult for police to handle situations without using lethal force.

The Madison City Council on Tuesday unanimously blocked the police department’s request to use $50,000 for certain weapons, including projectile launchers that were used against local protesters.

[…]

The projectile launchers, which a police spokesman said fire sponge rounds, were used against protesters during the unrest and looting Downtown that occurred on May 30 and 31, acting police Chief Vic Wahl said in a June 2 blog post.

Ald. Max Prestigiacomo, 8th District, who proposed the amendment to prevent funding the launchers, said standing against the tools was “showing solidarity with those protesters.”

[…]

Funding for the launchers was part of a resolution that would have moved $125,000 in unused police funds to purchase and install a generator at the East District Police Station for $75,000 and purchase the less-lethal equipment for $50,000. The other equipment would have included Tasers, ammunition and training for new instructors, Wahl said in a statement.

The amended resolution approved Tuesday left the funding for the generator, but took out the funding for the weapons.

116 Responses to Madison City Council Denies Funding for Non-Lethal Tools for Police

I hope this is an endoresement of more lethal force against criminals.

Where would you like to be hit with a 40mm rubber round that was improperly shot directly at you, instead of the recommended “bounce off the ground” method?

At least nine people have lost an eye because of this… and some of them were just bystanders, not protesters.

Kevin – that’s what Jesus would want, I’m sure!

k:

What types of crimes do you feel are deserving of lethal force? Do you endorse using lethal force before someone is convicted of said crime?

A current or former LEO would never phrase that question that way, Leroy.  You just outed yourself.

Exactly, Jason, no one who has worked in law enforcement in some type capacity would ask such a question in that manner.
    Pathological Liar Le Roi caught again lying.
    He just cannot help himself.

6. Merlin says:

The urban PDs are being forced into a position of having to go Sgt. Schultz on the streets for the near future. Having criminals in their face and clueless, invertebrate politicians at their backs doesn’t leave many options.

j, m:

You guys are pathetic. Try again.

I hear you Merlin, the crazy unhinged Left is foaming at the mouth but we’re seeing them eat themselves at every turn.  Hopefully they don’t bring the entire country down with them.

Pathological Liar Le Roi I am honest about my background, why aren’t you?

LeeeeeeeeeeeeeeRoy, who never explained how Walker robbed him of $6K, now wants to twist the topic and become Jiffy II.

Troll territory.  He should be ashamed.

Am am perfectly honest on my background.  It’s you guys that are making stuff up.

dud, I expalined it then, no need to now.  Pay attention.

Sorry, “explained”.

So, who ever thinks getting rid of cops on school campuses are just fools.

“dud, I expalined it then, no need to now.  Pay attention.”
    Umm,no you didn’t. I remember the conversation and you never explained. We made some guesses but you never provided your story.
    Lying again.
    How pathetic.

Wrong again, mar. You guys just keep doubling down on your mistakes. Or is your memory so poor that you don’t recall previous discussions? You’ll never win this conservation.

nord,

So you are taking position of just letting the resisting criminal go free?

Figures.

Ok Le Roi, show me your quotes or tell us how Walker ripped you off. That should be easy enough.

I expalined it then

Mar’s right.  You did not.  But then, what’s new about Lying LEO’s?

>dud, I expalined it then, no need to now.  Pay attention.

You didn’t just like you never explained how you lost all the money on buying your entire family airline tickets on flights that were cancelled due to Covid-19.  If I remember correctly, you were gathering the family for some type of dating / mingle party.  You said you were hoping your cousin Mike was going to be there, you two had some “catching up” to do.

k:

No, I asked you a couple of questions. Here is another one; do you know what “lethal” means?

No guys, you are making that all up. Pathetic.

It sucks, Le Roi, where you are called out by so many people for lying.
    Maybe it’s the hydroxychloroquine you are taking.

Mar, you are obsessed with this “lying” business.  At every turn.

Well, if Pathological Liar Le Roi didn’t lie so much and then blame others for his lies, I could care less.
    But I am glad you are ok with his dishonesty.

I just consider who is doing the whining. And you aren’t worth much of my time, mar

But I am glad you are ok with his dishonesty.

Didn’t say that, of course.  But you mean to provoke.

Oh noes!  Does this mean you are a lying liar who can’t stop lying, too?

Oh Mar, I’m so OK with your dishonesty.  Don’t worry.  It’s alright.  Here, here.  Let’s get you down for a nap.

Lookie here, jjf is drunk writing again.
    A bit early to hit the sauce. But probably not for someone who supports drinking and driving.

Pretty simple, Mar.  Show me where I said I’m OK with lying or drunk driving.

Nord,

Then I susggest we let police officers do their job and stop second guessing their dealings with constant criminals looking to harm them.

k:

You still haven’t answered any of the questions. Writers block? Cat got your tongue? Or you finally came to your senses?

31. Tuerqas says:

Kevin

I hope this is an endoresement of more lethal force against criminals.

So Mr. Abortion-is-bad and should never be done, wants to kill, well anyone suspected of committing a crime…what an interesting dichotomy, for a Christian.

32. Tuerqas says:

I love how these moronic school districts want to get rid of campus police in high and jr high school.Even though I am 6’2 and 290 pounds, not all fat, I was assaulted 5 times by students and suffered some injuries.The schools that had school police officers responded quickly and got the situation control fairly quickly.Those times that we did not have a campus police officer, well then I was on my own and had deal with violent students. There were times I was injured waiting on the cops.So, who ever thinks getting rid of cops on school campuses are just fools.

Eh, I have never really understood how it was okay to shackle the teachers from using any defense or discipline, but then bring in the cops to be harsher than 99.9% of the teachers ever were.

When I student taught and then subbed for 5 years, I never really found the cop’s response to be much quicker.  The only time I ever had someone within a couple of minutes, was when I had a gun in the class.  They did come quick when I intercommed that one in, but that was the only time.

Tuerqas – simple separation of duties and powers.  Police are trained properly for thet task, we hope – and teachers weren’t.

“Eh, I have never really understood how it was okay to shackle the teachers from using any defense or discipline,”

As if how we treat criminal evil and innocent babies is a moral equivalent.

Despicable.

k:

Are you aware that a person isn’t considered a criminal, and subject to punishment, until they are convicted? Or are you suggesting that someone, you for example, should be empowered to be judge, jury, and executioner, and bypass the judicial system?

Le ROI, you are wrong.
    Once a crime is committed, a criminal is involved.
    A person can be exonerated for a crime if they did the crime. For instance, if they are found not guilty because of insanity. They are still a criminal.
    No matter what happens, when there is criminal activity, a criminal is involved.
    You are confusing suspect-arrest-trial-outcome. They become a convicted criminal if they are convicted. If they are innocent, then usually there is another criminal out there.
    But if a crime occurs, there is a criminal involved.

Nord,

Are you still in denial of absolute truth that evil exists?

Do you think evil always, willingly, subjects themselves to authority?

LeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeRoy, who claims to be an ex-LEO, throws the foo-foo dust.  He’s happy to confuse a criminal act with assigned ‘guilt,’–which is always determined after the fact by a judge or jury.

Criminal Act is done.  Goblin is apprehended.  Trial determines guilt based on evidence and the degree of intent.  IOW–assuming that the actual perp was on trial–there’s no doubt as to “who is the criminal”.  The only doubt is the degree of intent which, e.g., separates “murder” from “manslaughter.”

But LeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeRoy, an ex-LEO, already knows that.  Unless he’s lying again.

I dunno, Dad29, calling them “goblin” before they’re found guilty seemed a bit prejudicial.  Who gets called “goblin” in your world-view and who doesn’t?

There goes jjf showing once again how racist he is.
    Apparently, he thinks only Black or Brown people commit crimes.
    Goblins and thugs can be any race.
    But not according to jjf.
    Only people with dark skin can be goblins or thugs.
    So sad

Mar, are you speaking for Dad29 now?

Nope. Just reacting to all your racist posts.

You don’t see Dad29’s patterns?  Can’t spot any racist words except in mine?

No, please enlighten me.

mar:

You better get a full refund from that mail-order law school you graduated from, this is two major legal screw-ups you made in the last couple weeks.
    Definition from Nolo’s Plain-English Law Dictionary
    “One of the most sacred principles in the American criminal justice system, holding that a defendant is innocent until proven guilty. In other words, the prosecution must prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, each essential element of the crime charged.”

Otherwise know as the “presumption of innocence”, it was further defined in Coffin v. US (1895).

You do know LEO of 32 years Le Roi, that there is a difference between defendant and criminal. I would hope you know that.

Yes there is, mar, and you and k have blurred that line so far as to be encouraging the use of lethal force on defendants prior to conviction, even before arrest. How very un-American.

And as I told you numerous times, I was not a law enforcement officer, but worked for a law enforcement agency. Big difference. But you are far too educated to understand the written word, and need to make stuff up to prop up your past mistakes. Get a clue.

Pathological Liar Le Roi, lying again. I have not gone as Kevin and his definition of force.
    My opinion is that if a officer’s life or health are in danger, or that the public’s safety is in danger, then the use of deadly force is justified.

Nord,

Still in denial evil exists?

Also in denial that evil does not always willingly submit to authority?

…just let criminals run loose if they resist?

I was not a law enforcement officer, but worked for a law enforcement agency.

Oh.  Like clerk-typist?  Radio operator?  Mechanic?

That ‘splains a lot.

mar:

You keep moving the goal posts.  Certainly, lethal force is justified as needed, and usually outlined in department or agency policy.  But k started out with, “I hope this is an endoresement of more lethal force against criminals”.  He didn’t say when, where, or under what circumstances that lethal force should be used.  And he still hasn’t.  And he obviously doesn’t know what lethal force means.

You, on the other hand, have continued to misunderstand any of the discussion, and continue insert your bs knowledge of the legal process into the fray.  Grow up.  Or get smart.

Some people NEED killing.  Eastwood said that, so it’s true.  Biblical, even.

Dad29, will you be volunteering any details of your work experience, or do you want to avoid anyone saying anything about what you did and why they might say you therefore don’t have any experience in a given arena?

Well Le Roi, you are neither smart nor grown up.
    At least I have a choice.

Gee, Dad, didn’t you know that Le Roi was in charge of the lie detecting machine/office?

Well mar, at least I sure am smarter than you, and much more mature.  And you can take that to the bank.  Were you motivated you could become smarter as well.

What a grown up reply Le Roi. Yawn. You sound like a 5 year old.

Liar liar pants on fire, Mar!

Where, jjf?
    Still waiting on your accusing Dad of racism.

61. MjM says:

Daddio suggests: “Oh. Like clerk-typist? Radio operator? Mechanic?”

Fishing license processing.

You mean, MjM, he worked at Walmart?

And I might add, nothing wrong with working at Walmart.

And here is a quote (re corona virus testing)  from your “expert”:

“Here’s the bad part,” he continued. “When you do testing to that extent, you’re going to find more people. You’re going to find more cases. So I said to my people, ‘slow the testing down, please!”

Using that same ill-logic, if you eliminate police reports you will have no more crime.  Bingo, problem solved.

Being attached to a Law Enforcement Agency apparently erases a sense of humor.

Or was it stolen from you by Walker?

Inquiring minds and all that.

You don’t really want a fair fight, right Dad29?  You just want to make fun of Le Roi.

jjf:

dud doesn’t have the smarts to have much success with that. He’s just a bush leaguer, will never make the bigs.

So, Le Roi, why do we have to test everyone?
    We don’t test for the flu until you have symptoms.
    And are you really sick if you have no symptons.
    Of course, if your goal is to scare everyone, which is a liberal goal, then go for it.
    If you want to go and cower in your bedroom, that’s your right.

mar:

For someone who claims to have worked in the medical profession for decades you should know the answers to those questions. Or were you making that up, too?

I don’t intend to scare any, but rather that they be smart, and safe. It isn’t too late for you to do the same.

Le ROI, just asking for a friend, how many viruses do you request to have tested if you have no symptons?

mar:

72. Randall Flagg says:

So, Le Roi, why do we have to test everyone?
    We don’t test for the flu until you have symptoms.

Well, Mar, because we have been studying the flu for 100+ years, and know a lot more about it.  We may get to that point with COIVD-19, but we are not even close.   Because of that it makes sense to test “everyone” so we can learn about the disease, how and why it affects people differently, etc.

Well Flunk, we have been studying Coronaviruses since the 1930, so yeah, we know a lot about both.

> We may get to that point with COIVD-19, but we are not even close.

Yes we are.  This is a mutation of the family, just like annual flu outbreaks are mutations of the Influenze family.

If you’re going to correct others, and speak like you have knowledge, you should make sure you actually know what you’re talking about.  Otherwise you’re just a Randy Flunk.

74. MjM says:

Randy Flags tries to play doctor: “Because of that it makes sense to test “everyone” so we can learn about the disease, ”

Testing everyone is a waste of time and expense given there are already nearly 28 million tests on file in the US alone representing a cross section of every man, woman, race, blood type, age, and location imaginable.

And besides, a test of this type is a snapshot in time. Have it, had it, or not. A few minutes from the test could be different. Imagine testing negative and picking up the bug from the door handle of the clinic on your way out.

The test you just had is worthless, but no one knows and the “scientific” stats/conclusions/predictions end up being wrong (yet again).

“mar:
    I doubt you have friends. Calling everyone liars doesn’t make for lasting friendships.”
    Well, Le Roi, I only call people liars if they are liars.
    And Le Roi, you are a liar.

mar:

j:

Per WebMD:

“Scientists first identified a human coronavirus in 1965. It caused a common cold. Later that decade, researchers found a group of similar human and animal viruses and named them after their crown-like appearance.”

“And you also said Keith Hernandez was a murderer.  You were wrong then, and wrong now.”
    That’s all you got, Lying Le Roi?
    Pretty pathetic.

So only FIFTY FIVE years of studying coronaviruses.

Damn.

We need 300 million tests to make up for that short time span.  It’s like horsepower to the Toolman, and just as sensible!!

mar:

And you are still wrong.  Pretty much about everything.

81. MjM says:

Nazi Nort can’t read: “Scientists first identified a human coronavirus in 1965. ”

Not only is the headline of your second Scotty cite completely false, you are too dense to comprehend that coronaviruses were found in animals first, 30 years before the first human case. Look up the term “IBV” and be schooled, numbnutz.

Maybe you and trump were studying chickens, but the discussion here was about coronavirus in humans.  Or are you too dense to realize that?

>but the discussion here was about coronavirus in humans

Poor Leroy… tripped up by his own hick shortcomings. Please show me in the following quote from Flunk where he mentioned flu research “in humans”. Then for extra credit please show where I mentioned “in humans” when I schooled him.

>Well, Mar, because we have been studying the flu for 100+ years, and know a lot more about it. We may get to that point with COIVD-19, but we are not even close

Dum dum Leroy, tripped up so easy. One too many White Claws while hoping your kids would call you today! So sad.

So trump was talking about testing chickens? Who would have come up with that idea?

85. MjM says:

Nazi Nort tap dances like Shirley Temple: “the discussion here was about coronavirus…”

Had you stopped there you would have been correct (for once).

Jason made a true statement – coronaviruses were discovered in the 1930s and have been isolated and studied ever since – which you tried (and failed) to disprove by citing an article claiming “The woman who discovered the first coronavirus” . Note: That headline is taken directly from the article.

IOW, through your own stupidity you assumed Jason was referring to the current CCPVirus when he was obviously referring to the family of coronaviruses, just as Randy Flags was referring to the entire family of influenza bugs.

The denseness here is a wholly-owned subsidiary of your cranium.

I might add, Almeida didn’t “discover” any virus, she merely took nice pictures, her specialty, of samples sent to her. And had you actually read that article, you would have learned that even Ms. Almeida recognized her sample as the same in structure to previously known viruses.

Well, lookee there. Even those in chickens discovered 34 years earlier.

And finally, TRUMP!BARK!TRUMP!BARK!TRUMP!BARK!

86. MjM says:

Nazi Nort continues his banality: “So trump ….”

TRUMP!BARK!TRUMP!BARK!TRUMP!BARK!

That’s the point, MjM.  Whatever you do, don’t talk about Trump and what he did today.

Umm, jjf, that’s what we were talking about.

That is even more disturbing, that you and yours think trump was talking about slowing down testing…..for chickens.

But that explains a lot.

You’re just embarrassing yourself Leroy, just walk away like you always do and save yourself some pain.

Fact: Randy Flunk stated that flu has been researched for 100+ years.

Fact: I stated that Coronaviruses have been researched for just shy of 90 years.

Fact: Leroy came in and shit his pants, and is now claiming it doesn’t smell THAT bad.

91. Tuerqas says:

As if how we treat criminal evil and innocent babies is a moral equivalent.
    Despicable.

People like you, who pick and choose how to apply lessons in the Bible have been the reason for all the biblically inspired violence throughout the centuries.  All the ammunition that anti-Christians and atheists use to disparage my faith are from people like you who decide what is moral and sell it as ‘what every Christian believes’.

Talk about despicable, the mirror is on the wall, take a look.

92. Tuerqas says:

I guess I just believe that the greatest single reason for the rise of violence among youth stemmed from the rise of political correctness (and the laws/rules that have risen from them) and that goes for in and out of schools.  First came the movement to never spank a child.  Then it moved into the schools where parents basically said, ‘you cannot touch my child if I can’t’.  To me, the truth is that a spanking  by a parent or a rap across the knuckles by an educator teaches more kids to nix a behavior than not, while a talking to or suspension teaches more kids to ignore authority than not.  Some kids do respond to the talking to, but those same kids are the ones that need only one spanking in their life to learn a behavior.  I think a continued proper level of discipline at school and home would have prevented the need for police in school in the first place, with the primary exception being gang violence which should be dealt with by police, but preferably outside the school.

I do not ascribe to heavy violence to children, but the parents who still do violence unto their children do it despite PC.  All PC has done for children is make them grow up scared of life or unconcerned with authority.  i.e. sheeple or criminal instead of individual, which is just how Father Gov’t wants them.

93. Tuerqas says:

Actually, teachers can use force under certain circumstances and if we have training.Certainly, if you are in danger or others are in danger, you can use force. There are times you just cannot wait for security or the cops. I’ve had to use some kind of force many times, whether breaking up a fight, preventing an out of control kid from hurting themselves or others or protecting myself.

I knew you used to be able to, but everything I have heard from my teacher friends over the last 20 or so years was that Teachers have been successfully sued for defending themselves, so they would not think of doing any more than fending off attacks, for fear of physical or legal reprisal.  I fractured a kid’s wrist in school 30 years ago and received nothing more than a pat on the back from admin and strong respect from kids for the rest of that year and the next in the Greendale school district.  His hand was holding a gun in a pocket inside his army jacket.  It turned out to be unloaded, but there was ammo in his locker.

So, jjf, self defense is no excuse?

>Hitting a child is wrong, no matter whether it’s a teacher or a parent doing it.

How about a convenience abortion? Right or wrong?

Tuerqas was talking about “knuckle-rapping” and spanking.

I’d say self-defense is a separate topic.

T:

Well put:

“So Kevin, you literally do favor killing a suspect of a crime…How very un-christian of you.

People like you, who pick and choose how to apply lessons in the Bible have been the reason for all the biblically inspired violence throughout the centuries.”

Sorry, but that’s about 20 years too late on the time-line.

THE single largest problem with feral youth is lack of intact (daddy-present) families.  The studies were completed in the early-mid ’60’s and it’s gotten worse since.  See:    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Negro_Family:_The_Case_For_National_Action

And whacking a kid who deserves it is a well-known and ancient practice which actually works, no matter what the dingbat Social Work bunch says.  Spock was wrong, just like Fauci was wrong.  They are justifiably ignored.

Well, Le Roi, people like you are responsible for all the killings in the inner cities, like Chicago and other liberal run cities.
    Kevin’s beliefs might have killed in the past but you and your liberal buddies are doing the killing now.

mar:

Wow, that is the most bizarre, and factually untrue, thing you have said in your long string of false claims.  How many cans of cheap ice beer did it take to drool that out? .

On Poor Le Roi. He lives in the land of dial up internet and is still getting 1980 newspapers delivered to him.
    Get a clue genius. These are liberal cities here the inner city killings are happening. Liberal policies like no bail, 1little prison time, horrible education system, horrible lack of responsibility of city leaders, horrible leadership of clergy.
    But get a clue genius, at least President Trump has done more for the inner cities than President Obama and you should be grateful for that.

mar:

” people like you are responsible for all the killings in the inner cities”

That is a lie, plain and simple.  And you are a liar.  Spin it however you want, but you are lying.

I know Le Roi. You and your racist brother jjf stick together in your racism and ignorance.
    I also realize your hero is Sgt. Schultz from Hogans Heroes.

I might add, Le Roi, if you deny liberal policies are not responsible for the greatly increase of crime this year on liberal states and cities, then you are beyond stupid, you are close to being retarded.

And there’s Mar, posting to himself late at night again…

Sgt. Schultz!  So funny!  And so civil!

Oh Dad29 still likes himself some Moyniham Report, even forty years on.  It’s got Commies, it’s got Muslims!

And yet he still can’t look racist ideas in the face.

For example, the researchers found that a wide racial wealth gap exists even among wealthy families — so much so that black children whose parents are among the top 1 percent of U.S. earners, with incomes at an average of $1.1 million, grow up to have incomes that is 12.4 percent lower than white children who grew up in similarly wealthy households.“ One of the most popular liberal post-racial ideas is the idea that the fundamental problem is class and not race, and clearly this study explodes that idea,” Ibram Kendi, a professor and director of the Antiracist Research and Policy Center at American University, said in an interview about the study with The New York Times. “But for whatever reason, we’re unwilling to stare racism in the face.”

Do you have time to read books, Dad29?  I’ll buy you a copy of Kendi’s “Stamped” if you promise to read it.

jjf, do you have time to read all the articles and books about the horrible education in the inner cities of the United States and how you want to continue keep the the mostly Black and Brown boys and girls in that horrible situation?
    And do you have time to read articles about the murders of a 3 year boy, that was killed in his father’s car by a thug but instead, blamed it on guns in the home?
    Or, jjf, do you have time to read about the 100 people shot in Chicago this past weekend, mostly Black and Brown men, women and children, or do you just care about a few bad cops and ignore the elephant in the room.
    I thought liberals were not suppose to be racists, but you and Le Roi and most other liberals throw that concept out the window.

And jjf, I posted at 7:16 in the evening, my time. Now, if that is late night for you, well, you must not have much of a night life.
    I guess, at 7:00 in the evening, you already have put your pajamas and night cap on, took your Geritol, drank your prune juice, put your dentures in the cup to clean and top top off your exciting day, had a Hot Tottie.

Hey mar:

You are still lying.

And the term is:

So, I spelled it wrong.
    Still, at least I don’t lounge around my house in my Depends like you and jjf do.

For someone as educated as you, we are all still astounded by how much you don’t know.  And I’m sure we will be astounded long into the future.

Mar, you’re hilarious!  And so civil!

The insults, do they make you sleep better?

114. Tuerqas says:

Dad29

Sorry, but that’s about 20 years too late on the time-line.

I did mis-speak above so I won’t defend it, I was wrong.  I meant to talk about my opinion on the evolution of violence specifically in the last 30 years or so.  I certainly agree that the rise of gangs and more organized violence dates back to times when the nuclear families began to fall apart and youth turned to each other for strength, support, respect and acceptance.  And gangs certainly still exist.  I don’t know if they are more or less prevalent today than before, they certainly get less press than they used to.

This is more what I was trying to say:  I believe there are personality types that are very difficult to change.  Examples:

From the 50s to today, the more gentle, agreeable, earnest types generally listen to their teachers, get good grades, go to College and do well, etc.  They were taught by their parents (and maybe school) that even small force was an extreme, but sometimes necessary tool to keep children in line.

The ‘bad boys/rebels’ tools and looks may have changed, but there has always been a personality type that did not listen to one or two parents, much less teachers, physical discipline hardened them into more radical positions, breaking the law becomes merely part of the identity.

Then there are all the people in between.  I would have agreed that two parents made a large difference, but I think it has become much less of a factor in the last 30 years.  Since few parents will discipline a child anymore, having one or two present to NOT discipline the child makes much less of a difference than when the Dad would roll up his sleeve and give out a spanking.  That is the shade of difference I was trying to talk about before.  First parents abrogated their responsibility of discipline to schools and then they gelded the teachers in the schools to a large extent.

This has not really affected the sheeple or the rebel types, but I think there are a large number of children who needed one spanking, one effective shaming or knuckle rap to learn discipline and responsibility, and they never received it.  And this is what I blame on PC.  Few kids are truly shown consequences for actions anymore.  Sure, many still turn out alright despite that, but I think larger and larger percentages of youngsters get into trouble because they are never disciplined until they are out in the real world where a mistake can cost a career or worse.